Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tried & Tasted: Pineapple Coffee Cake

After reading a post in SusanV's blog that her blog, Fatfree Vegan Kitchen, had been chosen for the Tried & Tasted event that is being hosted by Holy Cow! this month, I couldn't wait to get started. She has so many fabulous recipes to choose from in her blog. The only problem I had was trying to chose which one I would recreate. My time this month has been extremely limited, so I had no idea when I would be able to get started. And it had to be fast and easy, which is almost always a prerequisite for me. Check out the guidelines at Holy Cow!

I decided this weekend would be a good time to make something special. I have been on a quest to reduce the size of my rear end (!) and I have been craving something sweet. Losing weight does not happen when you are shoveling your face with chocolate chip cookies and double -chocolate brownies, so when I saw Susan's recipe for Pineapple Coffee Cake I knew it was perfect for me. It's fat free, made with oats and whole wheat flour and pineapple (my favorite). What could be better?? As a kid, my mom used to make pineapple upside down cake and pineapple cookies that were out of this world. I knew it was going to be a good day when she made those treats. While in Japan 2 years ago we were shopping at an outdoor market, which was rather miserable because I had a cold and a sore throat. We came across a vendor who was selling sliced pineapple on a bamboo skewer for ¥100 (about the equivalent of $1). Nothing could've made me happier right then and there. And when I was pregnant with my daughter, I couldn't get enough pineapple - which probably explains her love of this super-tasty fruit.

So, you get my point. I love pineapple in any form. Moving on. This recipe is not only easy and fast to throw to together, it is so delicious. All the ingredients were already in my pantry so I didn't have to do any shopping for extra ingredients, which is an added bonus. I was able to reward myself for my hard work and dedication to my weight-loss plan without feeling guilty. This was a fine choice for my first blog event! You can guarantee I will be making this again real soon.

2 comments:

A said...

I love pineapple too! I am going to have to try that recipe. Thanks for the inspiration!
-A

zlamushka said...

Hi melissa,

lovely coffee cake... Yums, I love em too... Thanks for participating T&T event. I hope you ll get a chance to come up with something delish for T&T Jue as well, the Blog of The Month is Meena of Hooked on Heat :-)